I consume a lot of health and wellness content, but sometimes I don’t put it all into practice. I’d like to sharing some of the healthy habits I’ve been able to implement as a sort of motivator for myself (and hopefully encouragement for you!). Please, please, please share your own tips and experience! I’d love to hear how other people are incorporating wellness into everyday life.
- Lovely smells. In one of her podcasts, Gretchen Rubin talked about how we can use smells to make us happy. This plays out in my house several ways. First, I started burning candles ALL THE TIME. Ok, so that was actually because the house we just rented smells nasty. But having awesome candles in each room is nice. I’ve also become more conscientious about using well-scented lotions and essential oils. I tried non-scented and supposedly more effective lotions for awhile, but they’re just so sad….scents all the way for me.
- Morning and evening habits. This is a combination wellness and productivity tip, but just about everyone agrees that morning and bedtime routines are really smart. I’ve slowly been adding healthy elements to both routines — doing yoga, eating, drinking a glass of water, moments of reflection, planning, and meditation. I feel much more peaceful, a little less sleepy, and I tend to be less hangry.
- Speaking of hangry – how do you deal with food routines? This one I have not solved yet. I generally eat three meals a day and snack periodically in between, but I’m still hungry so often! And my meals are often protein-rich – lots of eggs, meat, peanut butter, and nuts. I’d love some advice.
- Taking tech breaks. I wrote about this recently for a client and slowly started separating from my technology. I try (sometimes unsuccessfully) to get off my laptop for an hour or so before bed, to resist the urge to check my phone or email or blog stats ONE MORE TIME, and to spend less time mindlessly browsing. I’m definitely not perfect, but I’m making progress.
- Moving more. I know that this comes up all the time, but it makes such a difference. I’m not doing anything hardcore (although someday I’d love to run to work!). I try to take a walk in the middle of a long work day (10 minutes in the nearby park), walk across the hall when I’ve been sitting for an hour, and stretch out when I start to feel stiff. I’m also doing yoga, as I mentioned, and some workouts, but the little habits make me feel better than the big ones, honestly.
That’s it for now! What healthy habits make your life happier?