This blog has been host to many of my ideas and interests, but I have kept one thing off of it – my religion. I have mentioned it vaguely, briefly, but never explicitly. There are a myriad of reasons for this. When I started my blog, I was not particularly strong in my faith – like anyone, I experience ups and downs in my walk, and that was a down point. Another reason is that I did not want to turn off readers who dislike religion. However, there are some reasons I am going to talk about it now. My faith in Christ is deeply engrained – it is a huge part of who I am, and affects every turn of my life. I have no interest in hiding that. I don’t purpose to offend anyone, but I also don’t promise to be someone different just so that people will agree with me. Even if you are not Christian, or believe in no god at all, I don’t mean to convert or offend you, and you may be interested in the perspective my faith can provide.
In the last year, there have been many, many times when I felt my world spinning out of control. My only defense has been trusting God. However, I’m extremely bad at that unless I am constantly reminding myself why I trust God – His goodness, His love, His perfect plan. Outside of Scripture reading, music has been my go-to help for times of trust. The worship-focused melodies and lyrics run through my head incessantly, encouraging me to constant peace and trust. Today has been one such day. I am basking in the words of trust, reminded of how marvelous, incomprehensible, and close my God is. I wanted to share with you my playlist specifically for trust songs. Perhaps they can be an encouragement to you as well.
1. Make My Life An Alleluia – Soundforth (A Quiet Heart)
2. Trust in God, My Soul – Soundforth (Depths of Mercy) – This song has become one of my very favorites over the last year. The words resonate with me and remain in my head for days after. I often find myself listening to it on repeat, trying to burn the attitude of faith into my own heart.
3. Blessings – Laura Story – I just learned this song at school, first from my friends, and then from my new church. It took on new meaning when I watched our music director, whose son lay close to death, lead us in a praise service with this song.
4. Immortal, Invisible – Laura Story
5. In My Weakness – Soundforth (A Quiet Heart)
6. Renew Me – Matt & Christy Taylor (A Gentle Voice)
7. I Run To Christ – Anderson & Habegger
8. Jesus, Draw Me Ever Nearer – Galvin Evangelistic Team (Consider Him)
9. Mercies Anew – Steve Pettit (So High the Price) – “May this journey bring a blessing, may I rise on wings of faith, and at the end of my heart’s testing, with your likeness let me wake.”
10. Merciful God – Steve Pettit (So High the Price)
11. More Love – Steve Pettit (Higher Ground)
12. All I Have is Christ – Galvin Evangelistic Team (By Faith)
All of these songs have special meaning to me. I could take a single post for each one and explain why I love it, but I won’t. They are all available on Grooveshark, or if you are interested, feel free to contact me and I will share my playlist with you. Obviously, there are many more terrific songs out there, even on the subject of trust. These happen to be the ones I fall back on. I would love to hear your favorites or your thoughts on religion and trust. The only thing I ask is that you remain respectful. My religion is my choice and while I never mind discussing it, I have no intention of arguing about it.